Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Facebook... Friend or Foe??



Aaah Facebook... where would we be without you?? You are the reason we stay in touch with long lost friends, exchange numbers with people of the opposite sex that we were too afraid to ask in person, are able follow (aka stalk) ex-boyfriends after the relationship dies.  And how could we ever plan a party or event without the ability to attend, maybe-attend, or decline??

 I remember when Facebook first became popular (at least for me).  It was 2004 and I was a freshman at the University of Minnesota.  A friend told me I should join something called "facebook" so that I could network with people in my classes.  It took me two months to realize what she was talking about... at the time the internet address was THEfacebook.com  and I was just typing in facebook (without the "the"). Oh how my social life began once I figured out my little snafoo!

Facebook, originally, was extremely different.  I emailed a photograph of myself (that I took on my cell phone) and upoloaded my ONE picture I was allowed.  There were no networks, there was no privacy. If you were friends with someone or they went to your University, they could see your information (which didn't say much).

In the years that followed, I have experience both good and bad things from Facebook.  Sophmore year of college my mom found my profile (which was STUPIDLY still public) and found out that I was drinking... a lot... and underage, while living in the dorms.  That was embarassing, to say the least.  THEN there was the time that a boy I met at work (who I had already said I would not go out with him) who found my number on listed on my profile and proceeded to harrass me for three months with threatening voicemails 60 times a day.  I had to change my number. Oh, and call the cops.  Most recently, I found out a guy I was dating was cheating on me when another girl posted something on his wall... After telling me he had a stomach ache, I saw the next day a girl, with the annoying name of "Kelly", wrote: "Thanks for dinner, Dan... what a nice change of pace :) "

You think that all of this would be enough to make me cancel my account. But what can I say... I have a love affair with Facebook!  There is something fun about seeing other people's "personal" business and seeing who got fat since high school (from the ability to view thosands of photo's.  Voyeurism, as much as we don't want to admit it, is FUN!  There is something that builds community and commradery when everyone is a part of a group.  Little notes on your birthday make you feel special.  Facebook is an integrated part of our society, as much as texting I would argue.

As I've grown older, I've realized the severe consequences that can be related to Facebook. I've had friends get fired when they call in sick to work and then post status updates about going to a Twins game... Things like this have made me realize the severity of posting personal things in a public forum.... You never know who will see it!  Especially now, in my journey to becoming a teacher, I've realized the extreme importance of seperating my personal life from my professional one as a mentor and teacher.  However, there can be useful tools to using Facebook in the classroom.  It is free, and therefore opens the ability, to create class pages and groups (seperate from personal accounts) where students can join forums and discussions and access class information.

While I make these rational declarations... of both the good and bad, desirable and disgusting aspects of Facebook, I can tell you right now... I'm going to check my Facebook before I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment