Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Video Annotation on VidAnt



This activity was originally posted to Ning on time on Sept. 23rd, I just simply forgot to also post it to my blog! Here is the link to the Felicity annotations.  I had trouble where, for some reason, only my first two annotations saved and would play back.  Therefore, I wrote, in detail on Ning, the other observations I made of this clip!

Here were my MULTIPLE posts adding my annotations and observations of this clip that would not save!:
1) In addition to my annotations, I will expand on my critique of "Felicity". I think that the basic editing and consistent shots between Felicity and Ben really create the mood of intimacy that the filmmaker was trying to convey being felt between the two characters. The music adds to the anticipation of the impending kiss and the viewers are really involved (as in all four seasons) in the relationship between Felicity and Ben.

2)I do no know why the last three annotations are not showing up, so I will just write them in here. At the point of Ben and Felicity's kiss, this was my comment: At this point we are made aware what the "event" we're anticipating is: the kiss! The scene pans out again and both characters are in one shot together. When Ben lurches forward to kiss Felicity the camera moves to the right with his body. THe viewer is meant to feel the excitement and feeling along with Felicity.

At the end of the video, with around 30 seconds less, the shot shows Felicity and Ben in the same shot again and shows Felicity standing up and leaving. It is as if the film maker made sure that we saw her reaction to the kiss and the physicial distance (signaling emotional distance) she puts between her and Ben.

Finally, I commented the dim, intimate lighting and neutral color of the set and the characters' clothing. There are no flashy, distracting colors that avert our attention away from the sexual tension between the characters and the importance of their dialogue. The scene is really led by the dialogue and feeling between the two characters and not flashy camera work. It is simple to emphasize the importance of their conversation and create an intimate setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment